To include a down parka, synthetic down pants, -20 sleeping bag, down mittens, thermos, Chadar boots: (please indicate your requirements at the time of booking) US $ 2,780 per person
The Chadar trek is one of the most stunning and most unusual winter treks on the planet. From Delhi you will travel to remote Leh (by air) in the heart of the winter season and then trek up the semi-frozen Zanskar river gorge. You will experience the Zanskari culture during the best season. The winter scape of the rough landscape is one major attraction but the wildlife is another highlight of the trip. The surrounding hillside is the home of the Ibex, snow leopard, blue sheep, and lammergeier; experiencing these hardy species is a unique treat. You will trek with local staff and guides, who’ve trekked the river since childhood and know its history, its subtleties, and when to sing to scare away the demons that are believed to lurk beneath the ice. This is a true adventure in a wild land. We are the safest team on the river, hands down. No one else has swift-water and ice rescue training. Receive instruction for safe travel on the river, and go with a professional.
What’s the difference between us and everyone else? We provide all cold weather equipment, sleeping bags, western leader trained in swift water rescue, no budget on our food shopping (healthy meals with three to four dishes for dinner, large healthy breakfasts, and hot lunch on the trail), excellent lit dining tent, solar charging for electronics (when there is sun). After you do the maths, we offer the best value.
Day 1 – Sunday 10 January 2019 – arrive in Leh 3500m Film of the Chadar Trek during the evening
Day 2 – Leh 3500m We will go tour Shey and Spituk monasteries today. This day is important in case your flight is delayed. You’ll feel the altitude so not much hiking today.
Day 3 – Drive to Chilling, the roadhead and trek to Tilad Do camp 3100m First day on the ice, you are now at a lower altitude than Leh, and it feels better.
Day 4 – Trek to Gyalpo camp 3170m
Day 5 – Trek to Dib Cave 3225m. Tonight we camp next to a huge cave where the local guides and porters will sleep next to a roaring fire.
Day 6 – Trek to Nyeraks camp 3390m
Day 7 – Trek to Oma Chu, drive Zangla 3400m. Trekking one of the more impressive sections of the gorge today and reaching the road in Zanskar. You’ll hop in a jeep and be in the warm traditional Zanskari home in Zangla tonight. Welcome to Zanskar!
Day 8 – Jeep to Karsha, Sani monasteries 3491m. Today we’ll tour the monasteries of Zanskar, and get to see what winter life is like in a remote Himalayan pastoral valley.
Day 9 – Explore Jumlam gorge 3491m. A treat that few have experienced, the Jumlam gorge starts just out of Zangla, and we are excited to explore its “Chadar” today. Not even the locals often get up here in winter!
Day 10 – Jeep to Oma Chu / Trek Nyeraks 3500m
Day 11 – Trek Dib Cave
Day 12 – Trek Gyalpo Camp
Day 13 – Trek to roadhead, drive Leh
Day 14 – Leh. Important contingency day, if we have an extra day we will go snow leopard sighting from Leh. If the ice goes out on the river and we have to wait for it to refreeze upstream ice, we’ll need this day.
Day 15 – Sunday 24 January 2019 – depart Leh. Note your domestic flight is a fine weather flight only and can occasionally be delayed. Also note that flights can be delayed by fog in Delhi in winter.
- Airport transfers (not flights)
- 3 star heated hotel in Leh, single supplement.
- All other accommodation while present on scheduled trip itinerary.
- Group transportation by private vehicle
- ‘Himalaya Trekking Guides’ expedition-style trekking
- Delicious meals, French press coffee & herbal teas, all porterage on trek, western leader, local guides and staff, single, roomy Mountain Hardwear & Big Agnes tents (double for couples) and our ‘equipped’ dining tent with solar charging for cameras.
- Well equipped porters for personal equipment, you carry only a day-pack with thermos, warm layer, and camera.
- Himalaya Trekking Guides duffel bag
- Meals while not on trek
- Domestic flights
- Rescue insurance
- India visa
- International flights
- Bar bills, laundry, tipping and other items of a personal nature
- Gratuities and Extra Costs
- Allow approx $250 for meals (while not on trek), drinks (not on trek), and tips. We recommend $100-$150 per trekker thrown into the tips pool for the porter staff.